Saturday, May 17, 2008

Soar/Sore (Sunday Scribblings # 111)

How odd that two words so similar, that sound identical bring to mind completely opposite ideas.
Soar (defined as to fly upwards as a bird) brings a hawk to mind. I love watching them, wings outstretched riding on the wind. Such freedom and beauty. Its as if they can just ride on the air, up with the clouds, forever if they want.
Sore ( defined as physically painful or sensitive) on the other hand brings pain and something blocking your ability to do something as normal. Last weekend we went to a festival here in Rochester. We walked and walked and walked. Sunday I woke up, got out of bed and almost screamed. My legs were SO sore. It was utterly uncomfortable which kept me from doing other things.
This opposite idea intrigues me.
It makes my brain wonder, instead of thinking of being sore or the soreness of something, if we thought of soaring what would happen? Instead of the hurt or bad stuff, if we dwelled on the positive aspects of whatever situation maybe things would change? (yes I'm mostly speaking jibberish but I decided earlier this month to stop self editing. So jibberish it is. )
I think I'm going to try this for a week. I'm pessimistic by default. I tend to focus on the bad. So for the next week I'm going to get my focus on the Soar of the situation, not the Sore (so to speak.)
Ought to be interesting...

4 comments:

Granny Smith said...

I hope you let us know how your experiment turns out. I find it hard to be optimistic after reading the daily news.

Good Post.

latree said...

insted of getting confused, I chose one and decided to write this
I hope you'll soon find out what to write.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I like the idea of choosing soar over sore, making the best of things...

paisley said...

i had to change my domain name to whypaisley.com please change your links and or feed as necessary

all you will have to do is remove the - from between why and paisley,, everything else will remain the same and will redirect you to the correct page.... sorry for the inconvenience...