Saturday, April 5, 2008

Photograph (Sunday Scribblings)

I have always loved photography. Thats my mom's fault. She has probably a dozen very full photo albums and boxes of unsorted pictures.

This prompted me to look through my own photo albums. Its bittersweet in a way. Old friends who are no longer part of my life. A huge grin. There is one with an old friend that i love. He is standing in Wal-Mart with my pillow under his shirt. He looks lumpy pregnant. That night was one of the funnest nights. Another shows me standing in a shoe box with my best friend holding the lid on my head. I told people I could fit all of me in the box. It makes me smile thinking back.

The history on one of my faves: It shows me at probably two or three. I am curled up in a basket of laundry sleeping soundly. My parents didn't have a washer and dryer then so they went to laundry mats to wash clothes. Since my dad worked nights my mom took me with her. She pulled some stuff out of the dryer and put it in her basket. I can't remember the story how but I ended up inside the basket and the warmth made me cozy so I fell asleep. I don't know why its my favorite, Maybe it reminds me of uncomplicated times. Perhaps its the sheer innocence of it.

Whatever it is, it always envokes a grin, and thats why its my favorite.

9 comments:

paisley said...

i think the best thing about a photo,, is what it brings to mind... the image is an inspiration,, but the true value is in the emotion...

Daily Panic said...

thanks for sharing your photo. kudos to the person who took it.

Betty Carlson said...

It's kind of sad to think that a lot of kids are now growing up without photo albums. We've gone about 100% digital now, but do have photo albums from my daughters' early years...

Devil Mood said...

That's funny. I also have a picture of me aged 2 inside a laundry basket, but I wasn't asleep. I was standing up but the basket was bigger than me.
Photos are wonderful and yes seeing them is sweet but also *sigh* ...a bit sad.

Granny Smith said...

I regularly receive CDs of compilations of digital photos of my children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I guess they are the equivalent of old photo albums, but it's kind of hard to curl up on a sofa to enjoy them. Fortunately I have old photos of my own life with which to play the game of "I remember...".

GreenishLady said...

I love the image of the sleeping child in the laundry basket. You've described so may photos really well here.

Jennifer Hicks said...

hmm...fitting into a shoe box and a laundry basket....interesting parallels. great post!

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, this is a sweet story - brings memories flooding to mind.

Pirate Princess said...

Lovely thoughts - I think we all enjoy pictures from our childhood.. such an uncomplicated time. :)